top of page

City of Bartlesville Ordinances & Licenses

The City of Bartlesville maintains an animal control program, which is administered by the Bartlesville Police Department, for the purpose of protecting people and other animals from potentially dangerous animals, retrieving lost and abandoned animals for safe-keeping, enforcement of municipal ordinances regarding any animal within the city limits and educating the public on matters of animal safety.

Read city ordinances regarding animals for yourself here

Report a vicious animal

If you are being menaced by a vicious animal, call 911.

For non-emergencies, call Animal Control at 918-338-4001.

Licensing your Pet

Animal Registration Form must be filled out and presented with proof of vaccination and license fee ($10 per animal, per year) at the Police Department or a microchip at the Washington County SPCA.

City of Bartlesville Licensing Requirements:

  • Dogs, cats and ferrets, over 6 months old, must have a license.

  • Dogs and cats are required to wear the license tag.


  • Licensed pet stores and breeders with a sales tax permit.

  • Pets temporarily housed by licensed veterinarians.

  • Dogs certified to assist the handicapped or law enforcement.

  • Visiting pets kept in the City for less than 60 days.

Spaying, Neutering and Intact Permit

All dogs and cats over six months must be spayed or neutered unless:

  • A licensed veterinarian provides a written medical waiver specifying the reason for an exemption

  • The animal is kept in the City for less than 60 days in any consecutive 12 month period

  • The owner obtains a valid “Intact Permit” annually from the City of Bartlesville

Rabies Vaccination Requirements

  • Required for all pets over 4 months of age

  • Must be administered by a licensed veterinarian

  • To be current, the owner must have a certificate from the administering veterinarian stating the expiration date of the vaccination.

  • The animal must wear the rabies tag provided by the veterinarian when it is off the owner’s property.

Required Vaccinations

Dogs, cats and ferrets must have current rabies vaccinations. Animals over 4 months of age must be vaccinated by a licensed veterinarian.

Number of Animals Permitted

The City of Bartlesville does not regulate the number of “inside” pets an individual may own. However, “outside” pets are limited to a maximum of two adult cats and two adult dogs per residence.


  • Cruelty to animals is prohibited. This includes physical abuse and denial of food, water and shelter.

  • Cats and dogs may not run loose or be “at large” in the City of Bartlesville. Dogs and cats must be kept under control and confined to the owner’s property, or they must be on a leash.

  • Female dogs in heat must be confined to a building or kept in a secured enclosure.

  • Potentially dangerous dogs must be confined to a building or kept in a secured enclosure.

  • Pens in which dogs reside must contain at least 150 square feet of space per adult dog. For potentially dangerous dogs the pen must have a secure top and sides and designed to prevent the escape of the dog or entry by children.

Animals Other Than Dogs and Cats

The City of Bartlesville prohibits the keeping of all wild animals that are carnivorous or dangerous by nature. No outside quadrupeds or bipeds (four-footed or two-footed) except dogs and cats may be kept/maintained without the prior approval of the Board of Adjustment. This approval requires the issuance of a “Special Use Permit.”


  • The Municipal Court may require payment of fines up to $200 per violation. Dangerous dogs may be banned from the City of Bartlesville

  • Vicious dogs may be destroyed at the expense of the owner

Dangerous animals

All costs incurred by the City of Bartlesville for seizing, impounding, confining or handling of any dangerous animal shall be charged to the owner of the animal.

Dangerous Dog

  • Any dog that has inflicted injury on a person

  • Any dog that has been previously found to be potentially dangerous by the animal control authority

Potentially Dangerous Dog

When a dog that is unprovoked acts in an aggressive manner or exhibits behavior that required defensive action by a human or attacks a person or another domestic animal, the Animal Control Officer will serve written notice on the owner or custodian of the dog.

  • Any dog that, when unprovoked, bites or engages in behavior that requires defensive action by any person

  • Any dog that, when unprovoked, attacks a domestic animal

The notice will explain the facts that support the designation of the dog as potentially dangerous and the following listed regulations:

  • The dog must be registered with the Bartlesville Police Department.

  • The dog must wear a florescent collar and tag obtained for a fee from the Bartlesville Police Department.

  • The owner must post a warning sign where it is visible from the street. The sign must be obtained from the Police Department for a fee.

  • Notify the police department within 24 hours if the dog is sold, dies or is donated, including the name and address of the new owner.

  • If the dog is outside of the owner’s house it must be in a securely enclosed and locked pen. The pen must have 150 square feet for each animal. It must have a secure top and sides and designed to prevent the escape of the dog or entry by children. On a six-foot chain link leash, muzzled and held by a person over 16 years of age and suitable discretion

  • At the time of registration, provide a certificate of proof of liability insurance providing a minimum of $50,000 in coverage

  • Maintain proof of current rabies vaccination

  • Maintain a City license

  • Maintain proof of spaying or neutering or a current intact permit

  • Follow all other restrictions required by the City ordinances

Animal Bites

Animals that bite a member of the owner’s family may be quarantined on the owners property. If the animal bites anyone else, they are to be quarantined in a veterinary hospital or licensed animal shelter at the owners’ expense.

Tips on Animal Care: Be Prepared

Gathering information quickly can be frustrating. Keep an emergency record on your pet and keep it in a secure, easily accessible place. Your emergency record should include:

  • A color snapshot of your animal which clearly shows any distinctive markings, size, etc.

  • A current vaccination certificate, along with any permit or licensing documents.

  • A complete written description of your pet, including breed, color, age, sex, spayed/neutered.

Winter Care

Shelter should protect the animal from temperature extremes and precipitation and have adequate ventilation and drainage. It should be large enough for the animal to enter, stand, turn around and lie down. Attempt to place a dog’s shelter on the southeast side of the house or garage, which provides extra protection from weather. Increase food and don’t forget lots of fresh water. Check your pet’s feet too. Ice or snow between toes can cause damage.

bottom of page